Friday, January 27, 2012

Owing and Spending

I started writing this about a year ago, and never published it. Well, as God would have it, the same thought entered my mind as I was working on my tax return for 2011 tonight. As I was loading the dishwasher I was reflecting on how we struggled financially in 2009 and 2010, but how amazingly God blessed us through that struggle. I didn't completely grasp the magnitude of what He did until well after. 
As most of you know, when we embarked on our journey as a military family we had to leave a house, unsold behind in Tennessee. It took us 2 years to sell it and that was working long distance from Texas. I am very thankful, even more so now that we were just two states away instead of a continent or two and an ocean away. God blessed us right before Christmas of 2010 with the sale of our home. It was a short sale, but it all worked out that because it wasn't a huge hit for the bank, the remainder of our loan was forgiven and I later found out that somehow the city and county property taxes were paid at some point during the transaction. (and not by us) I think I cried for two days straight after I called the county tax assessor's office to see about doing a payment plan and was informed that we didn't owe anything. In order to help pay down our debt, I had begun to work as a substitute teacher(not my thing) at the kids' school. In the beginning of 2011 I decided to get licensed to practice dental hygiene again in TX so I could do some fill in work around town. After a TON of paperwork and a couple of continuing education classes, I was able to get licensed. It worked out great, we had amazing friends who helped me with the kids after school if I was running behind and Keith wasn't home yet from day shift.


So, here is what I had written at the beginning of last year.
I've been trying to pray for guidance and direction in my quest to rejoin the work force and how to start digging out of this pile of debt. I haven't been doing very well with the praying part, I might add. As I was reluctantly thinking about digging out the Dave Ramsey books and working on a budget, FINALLY. God gently changes my focus as He often does. I took time to entertain the thoughts that were bouncing around in my head and put them to paper since they haven't wanted to go away in weeks!
Owing someone at some point in time is inevitable, just like being an American citizen and paying taxes. The question is ... how do we view the money? Yes, it is God given, but do we always honor that? I know I don't!! The same with spending. We have to spend money, just to manage our every day lives, food, clothes, etc. On that same note, think about time as well. I get so irritated with myself for NOT using my time wisely and being such a procrastinator!


I am so grateful that in 2011 God did bless my efforts to start practicing again and did bless us financially. Sadly, I still need help on the time management, and I still haven't done a budget, but I am making progress. God is so faithful. 

No comments: