Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What a start to this new journey


Let me preface this by saying that I do realize why the people on The Biggest Loser cry now. 
Wow, God really did more in me over the last 5 weeks than I realized. 
Five weeks ago I started a class, not really given a choice because my case manager signed me up.  None the less I went in with an open and receptive mind. 
It is kind of a Weight Watchers type thing through the Health and Wellness Center here on base. You go in, weigh, measure your waist the first week. After that you weigh in once a week and through out the nutritionist talks about healthy eating habits, focusing on teaching you how to read food labels and determine mostly your sugar and fat intake, how many calories you should be eating and helping you use a pretty cool online tool to track your food, my fitness pal. She also took us through workouts at the end of each session. Yeah, they have all that here for us dependents, wow, who knew? There were a few of us who actually made it though the class completely. In fact, it was kind of cool because there were two of us stay at home Mom's a couple of active duty and a couple of civilian workers. 
The exercising was tough at first because I was so out of shape. In fact, I feel like I still am! Luckily, I had started, what I am calling Hubby boot camp, at the same time. So, I am back in the gym lifting and doing cardio. Yes, I hate the gym, but I love the way I feel afterwards, even when I am in pain like today. 
I am excited about this journey this time because I really want to do it for myself more than anyone else this time. I am so glad that I was finally able to purge some things from my life and schedule to finally focus on myself. God knew I needed this so He made some of the necessary changes for me. Even if part of that process had to be me getting placed on the diabetes medication. My goal is to get my body working properly so that I shouldn't have to take the meds. If I can't then so be it. I have done all that I should have to combat my disease.
I am proud to say that I reached my initial goal with the class. 10 lbs down and one inch gone from the waist!
I just want all of my friends to know that the only limits you have are the ones that you place on yourself. Yes, I still make excuses, and grumble all the way to the stinky hot gym every morning, but in the long run, I know the goals I have set for myself are in reach. I just have to remember to take a step at a time and that I am stronger that I think I am. Which is really hard for someone who is use to jumping into the deep end of the pool.
God is good!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

yay!!!! youre doing amazing keep it up!

Carol Steward said...

Great work Alicia! Keep it up. You already have what it takes; a super positive attitude. Praying for you.