Wednesday, March 14, 2012

*warning* a bit sad

I actually got to join my friend, Troy for his weekly broadcast on YouServed radio this morning.  A luxury I have not been afforded in a very long time. Wow, what a show. It was a bit heart wrenching but well worth the listen. Today's guest was Daniel Gade who has a long list of credentials that I can not remember off of the top of my head now, one of which included him having something to do with West Point.  Anyway, he as started a book project. He is gathering letters from widows, widowers and even some vets that were written when they deployed. He read a couple on air and they were powerful! And yes I was crying. This is a link to his blog "In the Event of My Death"   http://intheeventofmydeath.wordpress.com/  


I know this isn't a pleasant subject but how amazing to share these thoughts. The crazy thing is what actually stuck with me after the interview was over. The hosts were sharing their stories about writing their own letters and what they usually did with them after the deployment was over and they were safely at home. A friend of theirs called in at the end and brought up a great point. How much of this beautiful poetic stuff do we share with out loved ones while we are actually together? If we don't say it, then why not? I guess I just needed to get that out of my head. 

1 comment:

bis said...

So glad you joined in Troy's chat room. It was a very sad night but so interesting. He has many fantastic guests on there every time. Thanks for your interest Alicia. Love ya.