Sunday, January 3, 2010

A New Year; A New You

Wow, what an interesting few weeks this has been. I've run the gamete on emotions. Joy over spending time with my family over Christmas; contentment over the last year passing and a new one coming around; sadness over finding out that a dear friend and mentor has suffered a tragic health event and has now passed on. We had an awesome time with the Lord this morning during worship. Of course as I have had the day to reflect and think back on it. Maybe the Spirit was so sweet because I had walked through the doors expecting something from God today. I can't say that I have ever actually walked into a church service with a truly expectant heart. God is so amazing, even in the small things. During Sunday School this morning I found it interesting but strangely comforting when our teacher mentioned funerals today during our lesson. This may sound morbid, but it kind of makes sense if you think about it. A funeral for a Christian is actually more of a celebration. We celebrate our loved ones life and influence here on earth as well as their home going. I had never taken into consideration how much someone else's funeral can make you look at your own life until Brother Steve said it today. I guess as we age these things seem to hit closer to home? The more I've thought about it, the more I see how that can be true.
I suppose my question is ... as we enter into the next year how do you want to be remembered?
Do you want to be the one everyone sees dragging your baggage from past events around from place to place or do you want to be the one who sheds each piece of luggage one by one dropping it behind you and leaving it there?
I want to drop it all, grab my sword and my shield and run out into the battle field leaving it all in the dust behind me. Thank you lord that you do have a plan for our lives. May we learn to trust in you and let you guide us through the journey!


"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." Jeremiah 29:11 MSG


1 comment:

Angela said...

Awesome Alicia! I want to say that I picked my sword and shield up and fought also! That was such a visual for me that I will set before my eyes everytime the need arises. Thanks. What an encouragement. Angela Beattie